Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Asterios Polyp

Asterios Polyp


     I recently finished Astros Polyp. I was immediately hooked after the first page and continued to read nonstop through it. I enjoyed everything about it. It’s very different from the comic book’s I’m used to reading.

     First off, I was captured by the visuals. The simple straights against curves created a dynamic graphical impact that made the characters memorable. I liked how Aesterios had a lot of straights in him symbolizing his stubbornness in beliefs and personality. Hana, his counterpart had a lot of curves accenting her complimentary feminine side. I felt that these designs really were suited well for each other and complimented what each of the main character’s lacked.

     The story wasn’t anything typical I’d read in normal graphic novels. There weren’t any supernatural beings or crazy adventures. The adventure and antagonists are stem from the main character as he reflects on his situation and his life.  I find that Asterios’s situation of falling from a relationship could happen to anyone and that makes it easy to emphasize with. I thought the ending at the end was appropriate leaving it resolved but also allowing the audience to guess what will happen next. The ending was very honest of how the characters the author set up would behave. Hana is a loyal loving woman. She has a fondness in her heart for Asterios and him for her. The flash back seen when Hana leaves Asterios and Asterios remembers the little qualities of Hana that he adores so much was very impactful to me.

     It made me realize that the things that look seemingly mundane all adds up to create an emotional effect in a relationship.  Not every special moment means going on an elaborate trip or doing something risky and exciting.  I think the novel tries to communicate that simply enjoying the state of being and not taking anything for grated is vital in the longevity of a relationship.  I also think that the novel tries to communicate the true foundations of a relationship. It isn’t about mere attraction. Its about  sharing love, having trust in your partner and respect.

     All in all, I think this novel communicates a message worth hearing and provides a valuable insight on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment