Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Magician's Screenplay


From attempting to transcribe a part of a novel into a screen play, i find many difficulties in explaining the thoughts of the characters. Their thoughts have to be given through their body language and the way they are described delivering their speech. There is less of a psychological read on a character through words but the audience can piece together the meanings through the character's actions and personality in delivery of their dialogue. This was an interesting assignment.


FADE IN:

EDGE OF THE  GREAT LAWN- NIGHT

The edge of the great lawn depicted as a sea of snow before the outskirts of the woods in the middle of the night lit by the moon.

                                                                                                            DISSOLVE TO:
QUENTIN, a 17 year old lanky boy who recently discovered of his knack for magical powers currently cramming for exams for acceptance into the second year at Brakebill’s college.

ALICE, an 18 year old girl whom appears younger than she looks is a natural at casting magic. She is also cramming for exams for acceptance into the second year of her studies at  Brakebills College

QUENTIN 
(Standing before the woods with Alice, Quentin speaking)

QUENTIN 
So where did you come through?

ALICE 
(Standing before the woods with Quentin, Alice speaking and gesturing towards a stretch in the woods)

ALICE 
Over there.When I came, I walked here? I wasn’t Invited?
(voice becomes wobbly)

I had a brother who went here. I always wanted to come, too, but they never Invited me. After a while I was getting too old, so I ran away. I’d been waiting and waiting for an Invitation and it never came. I knew I’d already missed the first year. I’m a year older than you, you know.
QUENTIN
(baffled)
“You slept in the woods? Like on the ground?”
ALICE
“I know, I should have brought a tent. Or something. I don’t know what I was thinking, I was just hysterical.”
QUENTIN 
(with concern in his voice)
“What about your brother? He couldn’t let you in?”

ALICE
(Cold empty voice)
“He died.”
QUENTIN
Alice,this doesn’t make any sense. You do realize you’re the smartest person in our class?”
ALICE 
(Alice shruggs off the compliment with one shoulder, staring fiercely up at the House.)
So you just walked in? What did they do?
ALICE 
They couldn’t believe it. Nobody’s supposed to be able to find the House by themselves. They thought it was just an accident, but it’s so obvious there’s old magic here, tons of it. This whole place is wild with it—if you look at it through the right spells, it lights up like a forest fire.
They must have thought I was a homeless person. I had twigs in my hair. I’d been crying all night. Professor Van der Weghe felt sorry for me. She gave me coffee and let me take the entrance Exam all by myself. Fogg didn’t want to let me, but she made him.
QUENTIN 
And you passed. I still don’t get it, Why didn’t you get Invited like the rest of us?
(Alice doesn’t respond. There are tears building up in her eyes. Quentin catches a glimpse of it twinkling as it catches the moonlight rolling down her eyes.)
QUENTIN
(With warmth)
Hey what does it matter? You’re here now.
(He reaches towards Alice’s face and proceeds to wipe the tears off her face with his woolen gloved finger.
Alice  turns around, her back facing Quentin.

She shudders and hugs herself in the cold standing before the shadow of a large tree.
Quentin comes up from behind and awkwardly puts an arm around her.
Alice turns around and hugs Quentin.)
Startled, Quentin hugs back.
QUENTIN
(Caringly)
“Well, I’m glad you’re here now, however you got here,”
Alice leans into Quentin.

Come on, let’s get back before Fogg really does get pissed. And we’ve got an exam tomorrow. You don’t want to be too tired to enjoy it.”
The quickly walk back to the building under the harsh light of the moon.

FADE OUT 

No comments:

Post a Comment