Sunday, December 2, 2012

Games with Literary elements.

       Unlike previous generations of video games, many modern games strive to bring a narrative element in addition to great gameplay. I remember at the arcades, Pac-man and Tetris were very popular games. Adults revered them as childish recreational activities. They saw very little value in playing these simplistic games.

     In current times however, even adults are playing games alongside of their children. Games like Final Fantasy and Mass Effect yield story to support their Role Playing Element.  Some games have even pushed the borders of Interactive Narrative like Heavy Rain. Heavy rain plays out like an interactive movie rather than a traditional game focused on action. Games Like these are pushing the borders between pure gaming and a cinematic experience.

     The most recent games I’ve played with powerful interactive narrative elements include Final Fantasy 13, Skyrim, and Bioshock 2. While having played these games about a half year to years ago, they still had a lasting impact for me.

      Skyrim and Bioshock 2 contained elements which involve awards and consequences based on the player’s choices. One can unlock different endings or powers based on how they morally behave. Everything one does can affect them later on in the game. I think that element in current games is an extraordinary addition. Before when games were treated as mindless fun, it now engages the audience even more and challenges them to think about the consequences of their actions.

     I’m also excited about the Final Fantasy Series. Out of many games I’ve played, the cinematic in Final Fantasy are outstanding. I remember that when I ran out of time and couldn’t play Final Fantasy 13 any more due to its length, I watched the play through scenes online. Watching those cinematics made me feel a sense of duality. Not only were they aesthetically pleasing, but I could recall being in those character’s shoes and aiding them forward In their quest. It allowed me to have a deeper sense of empathy than a movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment